Monday, February 14, 2011

Visiting Ester


Today I went to visit the girl I sponsor through Compassion International.  As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I have sponsored her since I was in high school. She is now 17 and almost through the program.  It was so neat to go visit her. 

When we picked up the project director he asked if I had arrived in Uganda yesterday.  The driver said "No brother, she's Ugandan!  She's been here for a month."  Both the driver and the project director were former Compassion children, so it was neat to see how they are now successful adults.

When I got to the Compassion Development Centre near where Ester lives I got to have breakfast and meet the staff as well as take a tour of the centre.  When the project directoror served me breakfast, I thanked him in Luganda which is the local language here. He looked at me with a dazed expression on his face for about 10 seconds, and then once he realized that I had indeed not just spoke in English, started laughing his head off for quite some time.  And then said "SISTA, you know!  You are learning.  This is good, very good"

When we arrived at Ester’s house, which was about an hour off the beaten trail, about 10 people started chasing the vehicle and screaming and making loud noises.  Then when I got out of the van, I started getting mobbed!  It was such a neat experience.  I had a really neat time with Ester and her family.  They gave me a tour of their gardens, and showed me the cow that they had bought with some extra gift money I had sent them.  They served me a huge meal with about 10 dishes, and then gave me several gifts of a mat they had weaved, a lot of stalks of sugar cane, a watermelon, and several avocados.  I'm going to have to leave most of it here, however the interns and myself enjoyed the watermelon after supper tonight, and I'm going to bring the mat home.

 When I arrived.  This picture does not show the full mob effect, as it was taken after things calmed down a bit.
 Ester was so excited to see me.
 Ester's family presenting me with some gifts.
 Me presenting Ester and her family with some gifts.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jaimee,
    This is so special and brought tears to my eyes.
    What a neat experience -- you will never forget this.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Jaimee!!
    It would be a shame if you didn't change after a trip like this. It all helps us to cling less firmly onto the things we think are essential. Travel well,

    Love marg buhler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jaimee what an experience to meet all the young people you sponsor and their families. I like you Mom also got tears. Imagine you already learned some of the language. Have a safe trip home. Love Joan

    ReplyDelete