Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cultural Faux Pas

Today Pat and I went out to survey a site that was about 7 acres.  It had a lot of elevation difference and very dense jungle at the bottom of it.  None the less, I think we got it done in a reasonable amount of time.  The American lady that owns the property and has plans to build a school and a childrens home on it was quite the character.  There was never a dull moment.  She mentioned that she would like to have concrete giraffe's on the property and tame the monkeys and have a dancing monkey tourist attraction to raise money for her cause.  She had a good heart and kept us entertained for the day:)

Being in Africa for 5 weeks is giving me a real taste of the local culture.  Since my previous trips were only 1 or 2 weeks, I never really had time to get frustrated with the difficulties of living in a different culture.  Now that I have been here nearly 3 weeks, I am no longer noticing every different thing I see.  Driving down the dusty streets and seeing things I never would at home seems normal to me.  I have at times had certain frustration in learning to live in this country.  Two of my biggest frustrations have been that every vendor and shop owner wants to rip me off simply because the colour of my skin, and communication hasn't always been easy even though the vast majority of people here speak English.  That being said, there is also so much I love about this culture and this country.  The hospitable people, the way people are so happy to converse, the lush green beauty, the children. . . the list goes on there is much to love.  I don't want people to think that because there are frustrations that it is not enjoyable.  I'm loving my time here very much.

Sometimes cultural misunderstandings can take a humerous turn. . . here are a few of the ones I thought people might get a laugh out of.

The time I almost told I guy I thought he was hot. . .

In Uganda to tell someone they look very smart means to tell them they look very good, very nice.  I caught myself almost telling a Ugandan engineering student that he was very smart. I meant academically, but I'm sure that is not how he would have understood it.  I thankfully caught myself before I opened my mouth.

The time I almost ordered melted ice cream. . .

When you tell someone here that "it's ok" it means yes.  We were at a cafe and the power had been out all day.  I asked the waiter if their ice cream was frozen.  He went to check and came back and said no it was soupy.  I said "That's ok" meaning no, that's ok I don't want any.  Here that very same statement means Yes I would like some melted ice cream.  I quickly realized what I had said and replied that no I did not in fact want melted ice cream.

The time I told a pastor I had a thorn in my underwear. . .

Here the term "pants" means underwear. What we would call pants, they call trousers.  Today when I was out surveying a Ugandan pastor was showing us the property line.  We had to walk through some thick jungle to reach the line.   I got a thorn in my pants and when I stopped to take it out he asked if I was ok.  I said yes, I just had a thorn in my pants.  Then I realized that he would take that to mean I had a thorn in my underwear, I said, "I mean, I have a thorn in my trousers"

Here are some photos from today

 I have become the official bug patrol in the girls residence.  Both Hannah and Jessica hate bugs.  I heard one of them who shall remain unnamed screaming at a cockroach in the bathroom this week, telling him to go away. I'm not sure he quite understood what he was supposed to do.  This lizard was found in one of the bedrooms last night.  I'm not sure what the girls will do once I am gone and they have to deal with the bugs on their own:)  Bugs don't bother me in the least, however mice and rats are another story.  Thankfully there have been no mice or rat problems.
 A market.
 A man heading to the market with a load of eggs.
The property we surveyed today.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaimee another enjoyable post, you should do some writing you explain everything so well. First thing I do in the morning is look to see if you have posted. Thanks again for keeping us informed Love Joan

    ReplyDelete