Wednesday, February 2, 2011

More cultural observations


I am going to continue on with my theme or rant if you will of learning to live in a new culture. As I have mentioned previously, being here for an extended amount of time has really given me a sense of just how difficult it is. How the mixing of two cultures is never easy and even a bit messy. Being here has given me such respect for the eMi staff and how they are such patient and culturally sensitive students of Ugandan ways. I admire the way that they move about the culture and interact with the locals.  It reveals and reminds me that I have learned a lot since I arrived, but that there is still so much that I need to learn and so much that I don’t know.

There are times when I deviate between loving and loathing the process of cultural integration.  There are moments when I find it exhausting and in my mind I am ready to board that plane back to Canada, to the land of wondrous winter and cross country skiing, pizza, candy I love, apple juice and the conveniences that I occasionally miss.  There are other moments when I feel like I never want to leave. I have enjoyed the people of this culture so very much. They have been so gracious and I will not soon forget their hospitality. I know that once I am gone, there will be a part of me that wants to be back here on the dusty roads, building relationships with people that have so much to teach me.

Friday I will leave for my eMi project trip with Eagles Wings Childrens Village in Masaka.  I am counting down the days.  I can’t wait to go back there.  I am excited to see Bill & Ann again as well as little Elisha and am so excited that all the children will be back from their school break. I’m really looking forward to spending some time with the children.

I know people at home will be asking me about the weather here.  I’m really not sure what I’m going to tell them.  I really haven’t seen a thermometer since I have been here so I’ll have to guess how hot it has been.  I have started looking online so I have a better idea of what the temperature actually is.  Here in Kampala I’m going to estimate it has been between +25 C and +30 C for the majority of the time I have been here.  Since we are right on the equator though, the sun’s rays are directly overhead and in my opinion feel hotter than the same temperature at home.  Gulu was much hotter than here.  Again I have no idea on what the actual temperature was, but I wouldn’t have been surprised if it was +35 C or +40 C.  January is apparently the hottest month of the year here. The rainy season will start sometime between February and May depending on who you ask.  Today in fact, it rained and was a dare I say “cool” +22 C.  It was nice to have a break from the heat.

Another part of this trip I have really enjoyed is spending time with the eMi interns.  It has been so nice to be able to interact with a group of people all around my age who have the same love and passion for other cultures and a heart for people.  Although everyone that loves me at home, supports and encourages what I do, it is often hard to put into words just what it is like over here.  As one of the interns recently said they try to explain to people at home what Africa is like, but so often feel like they are describing it wrong. With this group of people, no words are required as we have all seen and experienced this culture together.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jaimee,

    Enjoy the warm weather while you can. Today the temperature is -9 but the winds are gusting to 60 and the wind chill is -26. The snow is blowing all over. We have had lots of people comment to us that they really enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work. We enjoyed talking to you on skype this morning even though I was still half asleep. Looking forward to picking you up at the airport in two weeks.

    Love Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaimee!
    I was just told today that there are very large water snakes in the Nile! Yikes! Keep the blog posts coming.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feb 2, was, of course, ground hog day in Canada. the results are very mixed depending which ground hog you watched. Apparently, there exists a Manitoba Merve and, although he is just a puppet, he says by the time you come back you should still be able to enjoy some of that winter you have been missing:)
    Your pictures are excellent; they capture the heart of the country.
    What would CFIA say about those eggs or the produce?
    One of these trips you'll have to take your mom, to prove to her that she has nothing to be afraid of. We have our own dangers here that we just adjust to. However, we do enjoy her reactions, especially when contrasted with your dad's calmness.
    Thanks for sharing Jaimee,
    In prayer
    Love Marg

    ReplyDelete