Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ssese Islands

We finished up our project at Eagles Wings.  We had an extremely good and productive final few days.  In the final presentation I spoke on Eco-San toilets.  As such, I was deemed "the voice of the toilet."  It ended up being quite a controversial topic.  Some of the staff were very supportive of it and others were not so convinced that this was the way they wanted to move in the future.  In any case, there was some good discussion on the direction that they will head in regards to sanitation.

After we finished our presentation and said our good bye's and left at 6:30 AM yesterday to head to Ssese Islands.  We took a ferry across Lake Victoria and stayed at a hotel for the night on the island.  It was incredibly beautiful.  Today we took a 3 hour ferry ride back to Entebbe where we ate lunch and did some final shopping for souvenirs.  I am now back at the eMi office until Tuesday night when I fly out.  We had a great closing meeting and one of my highlights was taking a sketchy looking boat a few hundred metres across the lake to get to the ferry.  See pictures below.

Tomorrow, I am going to Mokono which is about an hour from here to meet my Compassion sponsor child.  I am looking forward to meeting her.  I have sponsored her since I was in high school and she is now 17 and almost out of the program.

I am very tired tonight.  We had an intense week of work and visiting.  I am looking forward to going home in some respects, but I know I will experience reverse culture shock, and I am going to miss so much here.  People have commented on how easily I seem to fit into African culture.  Although there have been challanges, I love the people that live here.

So I must get going to bed.  I'm too tired to write anything too philisphical tonight so this will have to do.

 Us on the sketchy boat.  It was so fun!
 A full view of the sketchy looking boat.  It was interesting getting all of us plus our large amounts of luggage on it!
A photo I took on the island.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaimee!
    We're so glad you had fun at Ssese Island, BUT I am so glad we didn't know about the sketchy boat. Can hardly wait for Wednesday evening!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete