Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Saying Goodbye and other business

Today was a busy day.  My word it was a busy day.  But it was also a good day.  And also sadly my last day.  I am wishing I had more time.  Always I wish I had more time.  But I feel as though I've squeezed every last minute out of the short time I have had here and that has been a blessing.

They started drilling the well at Eagles Wings yesterday.  I am so happy I was able to be on site for at least part of it.  I was very impressed with the Living Water International crew and equipment.  I know they will do quality work. 

This morning I was down at the drilling site and also found the property boundary stones with one of the Eagles Wings staff members that also helped with the site survey when the eMi team came.  I spent a bit of time with the kids over lunch hour and before I knew it the day was almost done.

I attended my first Ugandan funeral today which was a very interesting experience.  It was for an older fellow from the village who had passed away yesterday.  I tried to blend in which is a very hard thing to do when you are one of three mzungus in a big crowd of people, and as the burial was taking place this line up of old ladies insisted on coming over and having a long conversation with me in Luganda right while the burial was going on.  I don't know most of what they told me but they all wanted to hug me and started jumping up and down when I said the few Lugandan phrases that I know to them.  One of them told me she was so happy I spoke Luganda! (which I most certainly do not:)

This morning Joan (the lady I stay with) and I found out about a young girl we know that was having to stay home because she wasn't able to afford school fees. So between the two of us we decided to pay for her term which came to about $35 each.  As I was walking along the road today I saw her on her way to school with the widest grin I have ever seen.  All because she got to go to school.  And I was reminded of all the things I take for granted. 

I went to youth fellowship for the last time tonight and it was so hard to say goodbye to all the kids.  Harder than it has been in the past because I know some of them quite well by now.  I hope I will see them again soon.

And so now starts the transition from being flung from one world into another.  In some ways it seems these 2 worlds couldn't be more different, and I will miss this place and it's people deeply, for there are many things I love and leaving will be hard.  My time in this place that is starting to feel like home has been richly blessed.  I feel so very thankful.

Until next time,

Jaimee

Few things make me happier than designing toilets in Africa, but drilling wells might be a close second.

The burial.  I wasn't going to take a picture, but all the locals were taking photos so I decided to as well.

Saying goodbye

I'm going to miss these girls

No comments:

Post a Comment