Saturday, October 11, 2014

Fun Day at the lake

Today was wonderful, but before I get to that I'll write a short summary of yesterday which was also wonderful.

I spent most of the day relaxing and hanging out with the boys here which was pretty great.  We spent the afternoon playing checkers and being silly and I simply just love being in their company.

For supper, I was going to meet Bill and Ann for supper at a restaurant, and since they were coming back from an out of town trip they asked if Elisha and I could take a boda boda (motorcycle) to meet them at the restaurant.  I said no problem.  So Elisha and I started walking down the street to hail a boda, and Elisha successfully flagged one down. As it turned out, the boda driver had never heard of the place we wanted to go, and Elisha piped up and said he would direct.  I wasn't too sure where we would end up with a 5 year old directing us, so I called one of my local friends to explain to the driver in Luganda where we wanted to go and we made it there without incident.

Today, we took all 72 Eagles Wings Family children out to Lake Nabugabo for the day.  It was so wonderful.  Everyone had an excellent time and I wish I could have taken even a fraction of that joy and captured it in a bottle. We went swimming in the lake which was so much fun.  Supervising 72 children that can't swim was a bit crazy, but I won't soon forget all those squeals of joy.  We also did relay races and the boys played a football (soccer) game, and then we gave each child a winners medal at the end of the day.

I took several hundred pictures and haven't yet started sorting through them, but I'll try and post them eventually.  For now, here is one of my favourite.

Playing Relay games.  I enjoyed watching Mama Sarah (middle left) as much as the children.  She exudes this radiant joy and was cheering louder than many of the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment