Thursday, October 9, 2014

Ballet or Barley?

How do I even put these last few days into words. Yesterday the boys here and I played with some enormous bubbles and they loved it.  It was so special to be right in the middle of all that joy.  Some of these boys grew up on the street so for them these moments are part of a childhood they never had. The road to redemption is not an easy path for these boys and despite the many challenges I have been so encouraged by the work here.

Last night as I was up at Youth Fellowship and sitting between two boys.  Here is how the somewhat humerous conversation went.

Boy 1: "Do you have ballet in Canada?"

Me: "Why yes, I did ballet for many years, who told you?"

Boy 1: "I studied it in school, I studied about many of those crops.  Is it related to wheat?"

Me:  "Oh you mean barley, yes we do have barley in Canada"

Boy 2: Starts doing pirouettes. "It is very nice you have ballet in Canada."

Me: "Can we please clarify if we are talking about ballet or barley?"
 
This is just one moment that makes me realize how much I love the challenge of being in another culture. In the end I concluded that one of the boys was talking about barley and one about ballet.  And then after one of the rough and tough street boys, who is a very talented break dancer asked me if I would please come give him ballet lessons.  So I am scheduled to go give ballet lessons next week, to a demographic far different than anyone I have ever danced ballet with.  I love it!

That is all for now,

Jaimee

This picture is a few days old, but we got to go visit Batcher in Kampala.  It was so nice to see him again!

Fun with bubbles.  I had such a wonderful time with these boys.






1 comment:

  1. I grew up there and I don't know I think I agree its "ballet" not "barley" :-) Just like its "calloti" not "carrot" . That was definitely an interesting conversation.

    ReplyDelete