Sunday, February 24, 2013

This is Africa

I had a crazy day today.  So crazy that I wanted to write about it before I forgot all the details.  First it started off with trying to get 5 cakes out to the orphanage with driving for 45 minutes on African roads without them hitting the roof or a similar disaster.  We were travelling with the Macris family who was in another vehicle.  They got a flat tire before they made it out of town so stopped to get that fixed. We went ahead and our car broke down about 10 minutes out of town.  We broke down in the middle of a construction zone too.  It couldn't have been a worse place.  They caught up and Rachael and I went ahead with them while the rest of the crew stayed with the broke down vehicle.

After church, I had lunch with family 3, which was wonderful.  I got to spend a lot of time with those kids last year so it was great to see them all again. Then we had the birthday celebrations with the cakes that we had so carefully brought out there.  It was so great to see the kids get so excited about celebrating their birthdays.  We celebrated birthdays for the kids who were born in December, January and February.  They usually only do one month at a time, but since there was Christmas and then their school holiday in January, they needed to do 3 months at once.  Which also meant singing Happy Birthday 21 times in a row.  A first for me, but it was so fun! 

On the way back, Rachael and I took local transport since we didn't have a car to get back with.  We hopped in a taxi, and guess what.  That one broke down too!  How is it possible to have 3 car disasters in one day?  I'm not sure.  So we had to wait on the side of the road for quite some time until a bus came along.  After finally making it back to Masaka, the guys of the house butchered the turkey, and then we played some wild rounds of dutch blitz.  All in all, it was a really great day.

 Trying to figure out what to do with the dead car.
 Bushira who I sponsor shows her Canadian pride.  I love this girl.  She is much less shy around me on this, my third visit here.
 Boys will be boys, who don't want their picture taken.  My parents sponsor Joseph, second from left in the picture.
 Little Trust loves her cake!
Triumph loves cake too!  Fred is so compassionate to help her have some.

No comments:

Post a Comment