Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What a day.

Well I have to say that I am in a much better place than I was last time I wrote. Having a full nights sleep helped a lot I think.  So, yesterday was a pretty great day.  After getting Elisha off to school in the morning, we drove out to Kako to visit 3 Jjaja's (Grandma's) that are part of the Eagles Wings Extension Program. 

Let me tell you, despite being in their 90's, these women have some serious spunk!  We walked a ways downhill to visit the first Jjaja, and after talking with her for a bit, she decided she was going to walk us all the way back up the hill and she wouldn't take no for an answer!  So we slowly made our way back up there with her in the front.

Then we got to the second Jjaja's house.  This woman has more energy than people I know half her age.  She came and greeted us all and made us dance while she made sounds.  Then she decided it was time to start matchmaking and asked me if another one of the guys and I would please get married and have a child.  I think I was a pretty deep shade of red by that point!  I'm sure my Mother would have been thrilled to join forces with this woman. One of the things I love about cross cultural travel is experiences like this.  How something that would be so taboo at home, is not so here.

We got to the third Jjaja's house, who also happened to be Jovan's grandmother.  Jovan stays with us here at the house and I really enjoy his sense of humour.  The funniest part of this visit when she looked around the room and asked us if any of us had the ability to breastfeed. Another embarrassing moment for me.

Time is flying by already and I know that I'm not going to have enough time to do everything I want to, but I am savouring every precious moment I do have.  Or maybe I just won't come home at the end. . . I have really noticed this time, how this place no longer seems foreign or strange to me.  It all just seems like a second home.  I absolutely love this place.

 Me & Jjaja Namuule
 The second Jjaja made me shake my hips for her!  Definitely not something I would do in public back home!
 The first Jaja insisted on walking us back up the hill.
 Jovan dances with the Jjaja.  He's so good.

Joan, Jovan's Jjaja, Me & Rachael.  Love these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment