Thursday, January 27, 2011

Watoto Survey

Today myself, Pat and Dan the intern went to survey at the Watoto village just outside of Kampala.  We had a few equipment issues, but managed to get enough data to do a reasonable job.  I enjoyed seeing the site and doing some work.  After we were finished one of the house mothers "Mama Harriet" had us in for supper.  It was delicious.  She is an amazing woman.  She just finished running a marathon!  After hearing the Watoto Childrens Choir in Manitoba this past fall and seeing photos of the site it was really neat to be there in person.  Tomorrow Dan and I are heading off to Gulu to survey for a few days, so I probably won't be able to post.  I will have some photos upon my return.

Here are some photos from the day.

 The babies home at the Watoto Village.  It is huge!
 Some children on the Watoto site.
 The goat barn.  They use the goat milk to supplement the formula at the babies home.
 Some of the children's housing units.
 Frank, a surveyor who works for Watoto is showing us the boundary of the property with a little help from a friend.

Dan and Pat with the GPS rovers.

 Kids here can often be seen rolling and running after old tires for fun.
 I am still awed and amazed by the beauty in this country.
 Some boys who were very interested in the GPS.
 Notice this guy is wearing a Tim Hortons shirt?  I thought that was great!
 Riding above the cows. . .

A panoramic view from the top of the Watoto Village.  It is so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment