Saturday, January 22, 2011

Scrabble and Supper


I haven’t had internet for the past few days so I have been writing blog entries in Word and saving them to post.

Tuesday night was my last night staying with Bill & Ann Peckham of Eagles Wings Childrens Village before I left to do 2 survey projects.  I will return to them on February 3 with a team of engineers and architects. Tuesday night I had a wonderful supper of Canadian pancakes with the Peckhams.  The boys from the extension program ate with us and it was so nice to be able to chat with them for one last evening.  I have so enjoyed spending time with them.  When I go on these trips, it is my policy to never ask about the background of the people I am meeting.  I know that in many cases people come from very difficult situations of poverty and it makes them uncomfortable to talk about it.  If they want to share their story with me, I am happy to listen, but I never ask.  I am always simply happy to build relationships with who they are now regardless of their past. In this situation however I had the rare opportunity to hear the stories of these boys, and my respect for them is so much deeper knowing the depths of adversity they have overcome.  I consider them my friends now and I have so much admiration for who they are and who they want to become.
I have shared about Peter in my previous blogs.  Some of you will know his sponsors Scott and Vanessa Kish of Dauphin.  The thing I love most about Peter is that when he smiles he entire face and by default the entire room lights up.  He is such an inspiration. I was playing Scrabble with Rachel who is on staff for Eagles Wings Childrens Village, and Peter was helping me out.  If he saw a potential word he would spell it out with the letters on my wooden stand.  It was my turn so I looked to see if Peter had made a suggestion, and to my surprise he had spelled out a word that has to do with a bodily function that young boys seem to think is the funniest thing in the world.  He thought it was hilarious.  It is something my brother would have done when he was the same age.  Boys will be boys no matter what corner of the world you are in.

 The last supper. . . before I left for Kampala.  Going clockwise Bill, Jovan, Peter, Bacha, Paul, Ann & Elisha
Peter asked me if I would take a picture with him "so I would never forget my friend Peter"  Unfortunately he is not showing his million dollar smile.


I think the people I have met here have impacted me more than on other trips.  I think the poverty was more severe in Haiti; however, I think the stories here have been more personal.  Both my sponsor children walked me past the graves of their parents.  It is hard for me to imagine the burdens these 10 year olds have had to bear.  These are stories that will stay with me always.

No comments:

Post a Comment