Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Visiting Ibra

Today I got to visit my sponsor child Ibra at his home as well as see the Eagles Wings Childrens Village property at Lubumba. It was a very good day.  Ibra lived in a mud hut far far in the bush.  We had to drive through quite dense bush to get there.  He came out to the road to meet us since there is no way that we would have found the house otherwise.  He waited by the road from 9 AM until we showed up at 2 PM.  I felt bad that he had waited that long!  He was dressed up in the outfit that he got for Christmas with the money used from my sponsorship.  As with Bushira he was quite shy, but he is very fluent in English and was very excited for my visit.  I am looking forward to spending more time with him when I return to Eagles Wings at the start of February.

I have very much been enjoying experiencing Ugandan culture in a very authentic way.  The staff and older students here are very enjoyable to be around.

Tomorrow I am off to Kampala to the eMi office.  I will be surveying for a few days around Kampala and then off to the Watoto project in the north the next week.  I am very glad that I got to spend some time here at Bill & Ann's before arriving with the team as it will be crazy around here with a team of 11 people.

Here are some photos from the day.

 Here is Ibra standing beside the drying rack he made for his Aunt.  He is very wise for a 10 year old and takes a large amount of responsibility around the home when he is there on school holidays.  The rest of the year he lives at Eagles Wings Childrens Village.
 Here is me with Ibra's family.  His Grandma, his Aunt and the man is an in-law.  The Grandma and Aunt kept thanking me and telling me how I was a mother to Ibra and that they were so honoured that I came all the way from Canada to see them in the bush.
 Me & Ibra with the ball I brought for him.  He was so excited to have a ball to play with.
 Ibra's house which was constructed from mud and sticks.
 This is Grace.  She belongs to one of the Eagles Wings Extension program students and spends her days here.  She is very sweet!
Jovan and Peter playing football.  They are so talented!  I have really enjoyed spending time with the older students that are back from boarding school for their break.  They have a very enjoyable sense of humour.  When I return with the eMi team at the start of February, they will be gone back to school.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jaimee! What exciting adventures you are having. We are really enjoying reading your blog every day. Do you start surveying with Patrick tomorrow?
    Justin made it to Whistler safely. Grandma is very excited about her move in a month.
    Your cat is still alive and hairy - Astrid is going to have to sleep with him. We're having Sonya over for supper as well on Saturday.
    Is there a time we could set up to talk to you on Skype on Saturday (our time). Talk to you soon.
    love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaimee
    You are having such great experiences. What wonderful opportunities. We got back from 5 weeks of holidays on Mon. to a lot of snow and cold weather. We are enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work. See you at Grandpas birthday.
    Love Auntie Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jaimee, surely am enjoyed your postings and all the good pictures, thanks for sharing Love Joan

    ReplyDelete