Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Onward to the land that I love

Well, we finished off the tour yesterday.  I am so happy to be done with the tourist business.  Although I must say, I really did love Jaipur.  More than Agra I think.  Perhaps part of it was that I had 9 hours of sleep the night before and I actually felt like a human being.  I had it in my head that Jaipur was some little tourist town.  It is a city of 7 Million People!  We visited the Amber Fort, The Observatory, and the City Palace.  And by the end of the day, having walked around in an extremely humid +30 C for 8 hours, I was more than ready to get on that air conditioned train.  My favourite part of all?  An elephant ride!  It was so much fun.  I forget my elephant's name.  However, the manhout (driver) told me that they generally train the elephants for 15-16 years on the flat ground before they get to come up and cart tourists up to Amber Fort.  And while we were waiting in line, there were these crazy peddler guys who kept on trying to sell us stuff.  I ended up buying this great Red Maharaja Hat that totally made me look like a tourist, but man am I going to rock the next costume party I go to.  And it was only $5.  The funniest part was when these peddler guys would not quit accosting me about buying stuff and John went in front of them, blocked me, and yelled in their face that I was with him and he better leave me alone.  It was so hilarious and I quite enjoyed having someone there to defend me, even if it was more just a nuisance situation than an actual danger.

I also really enjoyed the city palace, despite the fact that I was starving for most of it.  And you can totally rent two of the court yards to get married in.  Now all I have to do is find me a husband, get the Canadian Government to change who provides tourist visas and we're off to the races.

Well that is about all for now.  We are leaving later this afternoon for the Children's Home and I can't wait.  Although I am so very glad that I did the tour and had some great people to do it with, it emphasized the fact that I travel to experience the heart of a culture and to know and love the people I spend time with there.  Being a tourist is just not who I am.  But that being said, it was nice to have been able to see a new part of India, wear a ridiculous red hat, and ride an elephant.  Surely an experience I'll never forget.

Next update will be from the childrens home.  I can't wait!

Jaimee

 Mr. Total Dissolved Solids shows John and Pam the detail on the marble work at the Taj Mahal.
 Me & Pam at Agra Fort.  Can you see the Taj Mahal in the background?
 Hand making marble products.
 The Amber Fort.  See all the elephants on their way up?
 Me on the elephant.  So much fun!
 At Amber Fort.
 City Palace

Jaipur City Palace.


No comments:

Post a Comment