Monday, March 11, 2013

Final Days in Uganda

So I decided I would write one final post about what I did the last few days in Uganda, since they were quite eventful.

Wednesday night we had youth fellowship and it was so much fun.  They turned the evening into a sending off party for me and Jonathan, another volunteer who was returning home the next day.  Each person said something special about us and it was so very meaningful.  I won't soon forget the words that were spoken that night.  After that was finished we had cake and had some more fun.  I am going to miss those people so much.

Even though I don't feel like I did a lot of "tasks"during my time at Eagles Wings, I still found it incredibly meaningful, because I felt like I spent time with people, deepening friendships and really just being able to be present with no agenda. I felt more than ever that Uganda was home while I was there.  Being able to walk down the streets of Masaka, and have kids on the street know who I was, and slowly beginning to feel like I understand a bit more of this culture. 

Friday night the Macris family had us over for dinner.  I love that family and the way they open their home.  We had a wild dutch blitz tournament and Jovan entertained us with his antics the entire night. 

Saturday we made our way to Kampala since I was leaving from the airport late that night.  We brought 4 kittens Joan had rescued to the only animal shelter in Uganda, which is located in Kampala.  I was incredibly impressed with the animal shelter.  We didn't know what to expect, but they take really good care of the animals and we all felt good about leaving the kittens there. 

And so now begins the adjustment back to the Western world.  I am reminding myself that coming back from an experience like I just have does not make it easy to fit my life back into an 8:30-4:30 routine. Being back in Canada for less than 24 hours, I'm reminded that things that are part of my everyday life seem strangely familiar yet still somehow foreign. I have mentioned before struggling to figure out how to live this fractured existence is not easy. Part of me here, and part of me there.

 Me with one of the rescued kittens.  They were so cuddly and cute!
 Farewell party at Youth Fellowship.
 Me with some kids from another nearby project.
 On our way to Kampala.
 These kitties weren't always so happy being in the car for 3 hours to take them to the animal shelter.
Bill & Ann came to welcome me back home at the airport.  It was so nice to see some familiar faces again.

No comments:

Post a Comment