Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pictures and more pictures

Today I went out to the EWCV property and took individual pictures of all the kids.  If you sponsor a child here, you should be getting an updated picture in the next few weeks.  It was so much fun.  We took pictures all day and still didn't finish, so are going back tomorrow.  We took pictures of both sponsored and unsponsored kids.  We are sending updated pictures to the sponsors and hoping the updated pictures of the unsponsored kids will help find them sponsors at our upcoming benefit concert.

As a result of my picture taking I got to see all the kids I sponsor, plus meet many of the kids that friends and family of mine sponsor.  It was just so great. 

I can't believe how fast my time here is flying by.  I really wish I had longer, so I could get a better grasp of the language and simply just because I love it here.  Some days I am reminded just how out of place I am here, but for the most part it feels like home.

Yesterday I was on sandbox duty.  The three 3 year olds, Elisha, Grace and Trust are the sandbox crew.  They all know the words "It's mine" in a variety of languages, so there sometimes I need to sharpen up my referee skills.  We are currently learning about sharing and playing with toys that are not occupied by others.  Grace was so cute the other day when she was talking about "pussy cats."  She speaks Luganda and English fluently, but tends to use more Luganda in the sandbox with her Ugandan friends.  So it was so cute when we were looking through a book and she looked up at me and started talking about pussy cats, especially since having a pet "pussy cat" is not really something that is common here.

I'm starting to learn a some more of the names of the Family 3 kids, however I still have to ask some of them on a regular basis.  Sometimes I can be sneaky and ask Grace or Elisha who's who. Yesterday as I was playing a rowdy game of duck duck goose with several of the children I looked over at one little girl who had thrown her head back in laughter and realized the miracle of her existence. As a baby her mother had tried to dump her in a pit latrine, but failed.  Here she is today, laughing and playing and going to school.   


 Elisha is such a sweetheart.  I love this little boy, that made death wait.  By all rights, the circumstances he was found in dictate that he shouldn't be here, but he is, and he lives life to the fullest.
I sponsor this little guy Wasswa.  He is so cute, I wish I could pack him up and bring him home in my suitcase.  And he is such a ham in front of the camera.  He kept coming up to me and holding my hand, it was priceless.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are still enjoying your time there Jaimee. You are doing a great job. We are looking forward to seeing you next week.

    Love Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure Mom especially will be glad to see you because you will be taking that grandcat home with you. Love all the pictures they are such sweet looking little ones. I noticed when I went to the Philippines how they manage to play games also with very little. Our children here have far too much, no imagination left to their little minds.

    ReplyDelete