Sunday, March 11, 2012

Here in Masaka

I made it to Eagles Wings Children's Village.  I'm so happy to be back.  The kids are so much bigger and I'm working hard to remember all of their names.  Coming back has also reminded me that leaving for a year and then returning is not always a seamless transition.  A lot has changed.  The work that is going on here is such an encouragement.  EWCV is helping so many people and it really is inspiring.  I was able to see the building they have done since my last visit. They have built a few of the eco-san toilets I designed last year and I look forward to checking them out in more detail this week.  According to Bill they are the nicest toilets in Uganda, but he does tend to be a bit biased towards eco-san toilets, especially his.  Thanks to those of you who supported my marathon.  I got to see the building that took place as a direct result of your support.  I'll post a picture soon. The kids knew I ran a half marathon for them and some of them have asked me about it.  Many people have thanked me for advocating and raising support on their behalf and that makes it all worth it.  Thanks for those who have supported this cause.  Also thanks to those who donated vitamins and toothpaste.  It was very much appreciated.


However, being here has also reminded me how hard this type of work is.  The cross cultural element of it is never easy, and sometimes challenges arise that seem insurmountable.  Sometime, the people that you are trying to help disappoint you. For those of you who pray, pray hard for the work they are doing here because they need it.

I love it here, there are moments which are hard, really hard, some things I don't understand and I feel like the weight of humanity is on my shoulders, but I wouldn't change being here for anything. An experience like this is hard to put into words, but I try my best.

I'm looking forward to seeing what is in store for me this week.  I know I'll be working on a photography project, but other than that I'm not sure.  I'm enjoying not having too much of a set schedule and being able to go out and play with the children without having to worry about finishing up a design.
 

 Elisha is so much bigger than last year and he is talking so much more.  At the age of three he is fluent in both English and Luganda and will occasionally translate for me in the sandbox.  I wish I had his language abilities.
 Peter!  He is a little acrobat with all his back flips.
 Ibra, Mark, Jonathan, Caleb and Fred.


Elisha loves to play the drum and has excellent rhythm.  He is such a neat mix of Canadian and Ugandan culture.


The boys bury Trust!

No comments:

Post a Comment