Thursday, March 15, 2012

America & Arabia

Today was a tiring day.  We didn't have electricity for yesterday and most of today and now the electricity is on, but the water is not.  It is really not that bad, but I would definitely take no power over no water.

Today my plan was to work on photoshopping the pictures I had taken for sponsors.  Things came up and I ended up watching Elisha and Grace for the day so got less done than I had planned, but still enough to make me satisfied.  My word, I don't know how two 3 year olds could wear me out so much.  Grace is pretty easy, but Elisha is a fireball of energy. I had fun with the two of them, even if it is sometimes hard to referee the arguments they have in Luganda:)

After school today the boys were out playing a game with each other.  It consisted of running around and hitting each other with rags.  I asked them what this game was called, and they started laughing hysterically and said it was called America & Arabia.  From what I gather there are two teams (presumably Team America & Team Arabia?) and you try to get in a slappy rag fight with someone from the opposite team.

Meanwhile the girls were playing a slightly less rowdy game of something they had made up.  It was still high energy and exciting, but didn't involve any sort of slapping rags.  I love how kids everywhere share some of the same qualities, yet how their culture defines them as completely different.  I am constantly amazed at just how Ugandan Elisha and Grace are at the tender age of 3.  And now that I think about it the kids at home are usually quite Canadian by a young age as well.  It doesn't take long at all to conform to the ways of where you live.

I'm digging my heels in trying to get time to slow down, but it's just not.  I'm going to miss so many things about Africa when I'm gone.  I know I'll leave part of me behind.

 America & Arabia (aka run around and hit your brothers with a rag)
The girls playing their game.

No comments:

Post a Comment