Saturday, June 29, 2013

Restlessness and Finding Community



Somehow it always happens around this time of year.  I get restless, restless to be anywhere but here. I walk down the street and two of the little girls in my neighbourhood have a conversation across the block in rapid fire Hindi.  It makes me miss the richness and mysteriousness of India.  I read blogs of my friends still in Uganda, and it brings me right back there and makes me want to get on the next plane back. One of them writes about travelling to Northern Uganda and how being there shatters her into a thousand pieces. I sit back and know, because I too found my soul in shards simply by walking on that ground and so many days I still feel like I'm blindly looking for the missing pieces. By meeting people terrorized by Joseph Kony’s armies, and young people who had been abducted into his armies. That is something that never leaves a person, looking into eyes that have lived things like that.

I walk through my neighbourhood with my dog and I’m reminded how last year I just about had a meltdown from doing this very thing shortly after returning from Africa. How simply walking down the street and seeing the relative opulence almost did me in. How being here and hearing the complaints I heard made me want to look at them long and ask them if they really knew what a hard life was. How in so many ways, I still struggle with those very same things, but somehow they have been tempered. Perhaps I have realized that being there, and then being here changes a person for the rest of time, and how life might just have to be lived with all this in the background from here on in.

But today, as I walk through that very same neighbourhood, even in the height of my restlessness, I am reminded to love my life here. As I’m greeted by name by half a dozen people, I realize that I like the way I’m known here. Because I know that it’s taken this long, but somehow now, I have community here. My neighbour insists I come eat a hamburger and situate myself right smack in the middle of her family reunion because they want me to be part of them. Another comes and tells me in her soft Scottish accent that she would like to water my bush. I walk down the street and get asked about my dog by another half dozen neighbours. They love her, even though she sometimes finds it hard to lay down her fear and trust someone she doesn’t know. That in turn is what I love about them, how they see past that, and see into how far she has come over the last year she’s been mine.  As isolated as I sometimes feel after returning from cultures where community is the absolute essence of life, I’m reminded that it is possible here too, it just takes longer and requires more effort.

I often run in this neighbourhood with Wilson in tow. These people, they see me often, and they wonder what I chase. Sometimes I wonder that myself.  Maybe it is simply, more of this. More life, more community, right here, right now, until that time I step on a plane and land somewhere that isn’t here.

“And yet, the desire for “more” is not inherently bad, but it is often misdirected. What we need is a relentless appetite for the divine. We need a holy ravenousness. Our craving souls can turn and become enthralled by a goodness that is found in the presence of an all-glorious God. There is only one infinite source of satisfaction that can satisfy our bottomless cravings. A taste of His supreme grace is enough to lure an appetite long held prisoner to lesser portions. If stolen water is sweet, lavished grace is sweeter.”
-Jason Todd, Relevant Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment