Sunday, February 19, 2012

The bridge awaits.

In less than 48 hours I'll be on my way across the pond to a land that I love.  Excitement and anticipation are at the forefront as I finish up the last of my tasks and tuck the remaining few items into my already full suitcases.  I'm excited about so many things, and about experiencing African culture once again.  I'll get to see the children pictured above again at Eagles Wings Children's Village, who will no doubt be taller and more grown up than a year ago.

So here's what I'll be doing.

February 22- I'll be landing in Entebbe, Uganda
February 23- Driving 14 hours in a mattatu (van) from Kampala to Kigali, Rwanda. (It's less than 600 Km, but will still take a long time!)
February 23-March 4- I'll be in Kigali, Rwanda with Engineering Ministries International.  Check out the project description here
March 5-8-  I'm going on a safari in Uganda!
March 9-21- I'll be back at Eagles Wings Children's Village in South Central Uganda for a visit.

I'll try and post as often as I can.  I'm not sure what kind (if any) internet connection I'll have for each segment of my trip.

I was trying to decide which part of my trip I'm looking forward to the most, and decided that wasn't a decision I could make.  I am looking forward to each part equally and for different reasons.  I'm looking forward to meeting the team I'll be working alongside in Rwanda, and meeting the ministry we'll be serving.  I'm looking forward to seeing some of the eMi staff I met last year.  I really can't wait to see all the kids I love at Eagles Wings Children's Village too.  I can't wait to play ball and blow bubbles and all the other things I might get to do with them.  I'm even just looking forward to some of the simpler things like having a rolex (scrambled eggs wrapped in a chapatti) and walking down the street.

I know there will be challenges and  times when I don't understand the cultural nuances or times when I feel misunderstood, but all that is part of what I love.

So keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I prepare to step onto the precarious bridge between cultures. The one that has one foot in one culture and one in another.  I look forward to posting from the field.

4 comments:

  1. Great to know your on your way to do what you love. I love hearing about your adventures. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Take car

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaimee, we will be thinking of you and praying for you while you are away. You continue to make us proud of you.

    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jaimee I posted last night and just this evening realize I posted on an old blog when you were coming home from Haiti,
    So just wanted to tell you I love your posts, look forward to traveling thru you. and will keep you in my prayers also. Love Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaimee! So glad to hear that you are heading across the pond again! Looking forward to reading all about it and seeing your beautiful photos. Praying for a blessed and safe adventure! Love!

    ReplyDelete